Spring Native Plant Sales 2014

A deep purple Columbine flower blooms in my garden. Photo by Donna L. Long.

A deep purple Columbine flower blooms in my garden. Photo by Donna L. Long.

Here are several native plants sale here in the Philadelphia and Mid- Atlantic area. In Season also has a full list of native plant sales in the Mid-Atlantic region.

When I attend native plants sales, I find it helpful to take a native plant list with me. I make a list of the plants I have researched and decided to add to my garden. This cuts down but doesn’t eliminate impulse buys. My favorite native plant garden guide for the Mid-Atlantic is Native Plants of the Northeast by Donald J. Leopold along with other books on my list of best books.

Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education – Spring Native Plant Sale (Philadelphia, PA)

Member’s Preview Friday, April 25th : 10th Annual Native Plant Sale, 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Public Sale – Saturday, May 3rd : 10th Annual Native Plant Sale, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm

Bowman’s Hill Wildflower Preserve - 2014 Spring Native Plant Sale (New Hope, PA)

Members’ Preview Sale Event - Friday, May 9, 2014, 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Public Sale: Saturday, May 10 – Sunday, June 1, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., closed Mondays.

Bartram’s Garden Spring Plant Sale 2014 (Philadelphia, PA)

This sale does not sell native plants exclusively but there bound to be some native plants for sale
Garden Members Preview Party on Friday, May 2, 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Public Sale - May 3, 2014 10:00 am To May 3, 2014 4:00 pm

Delaware Center for the Inland Bays Native Plant Sale (Coastal Delaware)

Saturday, May 3, 2014 - 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. - James Farm Ecological Preserve -  On Cedar Neck Road in Ocean View
I have never been to this sale. There are bound to be native plants suitable for seaside gardens.

University of Delaware Botanical Gardens Spring Plant Sale 2014 (Delaware)

I have never been to this sale but the catalog does list native plants.
Wednesday, April 23, 4:30-6pm (Patron plant sale & reception; RSVP required; email mzoehrer@udel.edu)
Thursday, April 24, 3-7pm (UDBG members day)
Friday, April 25, 3-7pm (General Admission)
Saturday, April 26, 9:30-4pm (General Admission)

Red Bud Native Plant Nursery

Red Bud sells only Mid-Atlantic native plants. I go there a drool. It is the place for flowers, shrubs, ferns and other native plants.

Octoraro

Pennsylvania wholesale nursery provides container-grown trees, shrubs, and seedlings, including species for stream bank stabilization, wet-tolerant, and upland restoration. Octororo is wholesale only and sells through environmental centers, plant nurseries and plant sales throughout the region. www.octoraro.com

Native Plant Lists on In Season