Finding Fall Foliage
It’s time for the trees and shrubs to turn the brilliant reds, golds, and oranges of fall. The intensity of the colors changes from year to year depending on weather conditions.
The following is an excerpt from my book, Autumn in the Natural World.
The main factors determining color strength are:
- rain – lack of water from droughts can cause poor display
- insect-eating damage
- nighttime temperatures – warmer than normal October nights also dull color
“The best color displays are developed during sunny fall days, adequate rainfall, and cold frost-free nights.” (page 26)
In Autumn in the Natural World, I explain how plants, animals, and the land prepare for the winter’s cold.
Resources for Fall Foliage Leaf Peeping
The following links provide more information on finding places for sunny afternoon drives and taking spectacular autumn nature photos.
Fall Foliage Websites
2023 Smoky Mountains National Park Fall Foliage Map and Nationwide Prediction Map – SmokyMountains.com
Weekly Fall Foliage Report – visitpa.org
About Autumn Leaves
Best North American Regions for Fall Foliage
- New England, USA
- Maine, USA
- Green Mountains, Vermont, USA
- Nova Scotia and Quebec, Canada
- Cascade Mountains, Pacific Northwest, USA
- Catskills, Adirondacks, New York State, USA
- Pennsylvania Poconos
- Great Smoky Mountains, USA
- New Mexico (cottonwood, poplar, aspen trees)
- Rocky Mountains, Colorado, USA
- Lost Maples State Park, Texas, USA
for regions around the world, see Why Do Leaves Change Color? with a Video
Read more about Autumn in the Natural World
Autumn in the Natural World by Donna L. Long makes complex processes easy to understand, to the wonders of the autumn season. In easy to understand language the essential natural processes of the changing colors of leaves, why trees shed leaves, and how a pond can freeze and still support life are explained. Learn the key star constellation which signals the end of summer and the growing season. Learn why the moon’s of autumn loom so large in the night sky.
Available in pdf and paperback.