Common name: Butterfly bush
Scientific name: Buddleja davidii
Family name: Buddlejaceae
Attracts: butterflies (nectar)
Host plant to: no one
Native range: southwestern China
Habitat: sunny sites with well-drained soils
Height: 3 to 15 feet
Light needed: full sun
Hardiness zones: 5 to 9
Bloom period: summer
Bloom color: purple
Growing Tips: Don’t plant it.
This plant is considered invasive in areas of North America, western Europe and New Zealand. Check with your local state department of natural resources before planting.
North American Native Alternatives
- Common Buttonbush (Cephalanthus occidentalis L.)
- Butterflyweed (Asclepias tuberosa)
- Sweet Pepperbush (Clethra alnifolia)
- Virginia Sweetspire (Itea virginica)
- Blazing Star (Liatris spicata)
- New York ironweed (Vernonia noveboracensis)
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.