If you keep a naturalistt field journal or a nature journal here are some writing and drawing prompts for this month.
October New moon
October 8th – 9th – Draconids meteor shower
October 21st – 22nd – Full moon
October 22nd – Full moon
October 18th – 31st – Autumn colors peak in Southeastern Pennsylvania
What to observe right now
- Look for migrating songbirds at your feeders
- Squirrels busy storing food for winter
- Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are migrating south. Keep hummingbird feeders filled until freezing is a problem.
- Monarch butterflies are migrating (Cape may point State Park is a good place to see the migration)
- Waterfowl migrate south this month
- Hawk migration peaks in mid-October (Cape May Point State Park, Fort Washington State Park, Hawk Mountain)
- fungi (mushrooms) sprouting in the leaf litter
Natural History – What to learn now
- Leaf colors of common trees
- Why leaves change colors
- Read information on migration in last month’s newsletter if you missed it.
Nature Photography and drawing – What to photograph and draw
- leaf colors
- fall berries
- nuts and seed pods
- harvest time
- animals preparing for winter (including humans)
- mushrooms and fungi
- fall flowers
Join and get the posts & newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.